Restroom facilities include a flush toilet and a sink.
You can expect to see latrines near every campsite and program area. Latrines are stocked with toilet paper and a hand washing stations (either hand sanitizer or a sink with soap).
Internet and Cell Phones
Internet accessibility and cell phone coverage is limited at all of our camp properties. Participants will be asked to keep cell phones and other electronic devices in their backpacks during the day.
The camp store is stocked with small convenience items, snacks, apparel, souvenirs and patches. Cash, check and credit cards are accepted. The store will be open during the lunch hour each day. Pocket knives will not be sold to anyone under the age of 18 without permission from their parent or legal guardian.
- STEM activities
- Boating (Phillippo and Kiwanis only)
- Pool (Phillippo, Kiwanis, and Base Camp only)
- Outdoor Skills
- 9:00 am Camper Drop Off and Health Screening
- 9:15 am - 11:30 am Morning Activities
- 11:30 - 12:00 pm Lunch (bring your own lunch)
- 12:00 pm - 3:15 pm Afternoon Activities
- 2:00 Snack/Rest Time
- 2:15 pm - Afternoon Activities Continued
- 4:00 pm - Camper Pickup
During the day, participants will be in divided into small groups by grade level. This allows us to provide age appropriate activities for all of our campers. Exact schedule varies by location.
LOCATION SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
Base Camp (Team Building Center): Rock Climbing, Pool
Phillippo Scout Camp: BB Guns, Pedal Carts, Pool
Kiwanis Scout Camp: BB Guns, Pedal Carts, Pool
Rum River Scout Camp: Bounce House
WHO CAN ATTEND?
Discovery Day Camp is open to all youth (boys and girls) entering Kindergarten through 5th grade.
DO PARENTS HAVE TO ATTEND?
Discovery Day Camp is a drop-off programs run by qualified and trained staff. Our staff ratios meet our supervision requirements. Parents are not part of the Day Camp programs.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The fee to participate in this program is $285, of which $50 is the program deposit. This includes all program supplies, staffing, activities, and any other fees associated with the full-week program.
IS THERE FINANCIAL AID AVAILABLE?
Yes! We think that every camper should have an opportunity to attend Summer Camp and we do not want cost to hold anyone back from this experience. If you are in need, please complete the form linked in the "Related Articles" section on the right-hand side (or below on mobile devices) to receive up to 50% of the youth cost covered.
WHEN IS CAMP?
Sessions will be offered starting mid June and running until the end of August. See the Register tab for dates and locations!
Is bussing available to/from camp?
Our Phillippo Camp location (Cannon Falls, MN) will be offering a bussing option in 2024 from Lakeville and Northfield for an additional $55/week.
- Northfield: Pick up (8:35am) Drop Off (4:25pm) at Northfield City Hall, 801 Washington Street, 8th Street end of Parking Lot.
- Lakeville: Pickup (8:00am) Drop off (5:00pm) at Hosanna Church – Lakeville, 9600 163rd St W in the East Lot.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
We recommend that each youth participant brings a back pack each day with the following items:
- Swim Suit (for water activities at all locations)
- Sun screen
- Bug spray
- Hat or sunglasses
- Any medications that they might need (tell staff about these at check in)
- Rain jacket
- Bag lunch
Every day, participants should have closed toed shoes and appropriate clothing for the weather. They will be spending a majority of the day outdoors so it is important that they are dressed properly.
WHAT FORMS DO I NEED TO BRING?
Each participant must have:
- Signed parts A and B of the Health Form
- A signed Participant Day Camp Waiver
- Additionally, each participant who would like to participate in shooting sports activities must have a completed Shooting Sports Waiver.
These forms can be found under the "Related Articles" header to the right (below on mobile devices).
Forms will be turned into the staff at check in on Monday morning. If you do not have them completed, you will be asked to fill them out once you arrive.
If you are attending multiple sessions of Discovery Day Camp, you may use the same forms each time.
Please bring a bag lunch each day.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT CHECK IN
On the first day (Monday) please be prepared to turn in a completed Health Form, Particpant Day Camp Waiver, and Shooting Sports Waiver. Make sure you have an emergency contact listed on the Health Form and if anyone else plans to drop off or pick up your child during the week, their names and phone numbers need to be listed as authorized persons.
If your child needs to take any medications during the day please inform the staff.
In order to run our camp as effectively as possible, we split up all youth in the session into smaller groups. This allows us to maintain better youth-staff ratios and ensures everyone is always able to stay busy - they never need to wait their turn for an activity.
If you want your kid to be in a group with another kid, you can submit up to two names and we'll do our best to keep everyone together. When registering, please enter the full name (first and last) of anyone else attending that session that you want your kid to be in a group with.
IS THERE EARLY DROP OFF / LATE PICK UP OPTIONS?
All locations offer early and late drop off. See the parent guide for more details.
Our swimming areas are supervised by staff who are certified lifeguards and trained in CPR and First Aid. All participants will be required to stay in the shallow (learner) section unless they are able to pass a swimming test. Those that can pass with lifeguard approval will be allowed to move into the deep end.
Life jackets and flotation toys will be provided upon request. If may also send personal life jackets or flotation devices for you child to use if you wish.
FIRST AID & ONSITE MEDICAL STAFF
Each camp property has at least 50% of their staff trained in First Aid and CPR. In addition to that, they have a designated staff member to respond to any injuries or other medical situations that might happen while at camp. If something happens that will require a trip to a clinic or hospital, emergency contacts will be called immediately.
WHAT IS THE PAYMENT TIMELINE?
Full payment is required at the time of registration.
All events hosted by the Northern Star Camping Department utilize the same cancellation policy:
Requests for refunds/cancellations need to be made in writing (preferably via email). The amount refunded is determined by when we are notified. If we are notified:
- 30 or more days prior to the start date of your session: all fees paid besides the deposit will be refunded to you or your unit (dependent upon the program you are cancelled for).
- 29 to 8 days prior to the start date of your session: all fees paid besides the deposit will be refunded to you or your unit as a credit that can used for any program operated by the Northern Star Camping Department.
- This credit can be applied to any future registration(s) that have a balance due.
- This credit will be available for 365 days from the date of the cancellation.
- Some examples of programs this credit could be used at include: Cub Summer Camp, Scouts BSA Summer Camp, Fall Day Camp, Polar Cubs, North Wind, Snow Base.
- This credit currently cannot be applied to facility reservations or events held by other parts of Northern Star, such as the Klondike Derby or Wood Badge.
- 7 or less days prior to the start date of your session: all fees paid will be forfeited.
Exceptions will be made at the discretion of the camp director for family or medical emergencies.