Camp isn’t just during the summer - it even takes place in the middle of winter!
Discovery Winter Day Camp is designed to be safe and fun for all winter conditions. We even have sled chutes for days when there's no snow on the ground and a special patch for the days when it's below zero temperatures!
At Discovery Winter Day Camp, we have snow-less sledding options available, so no matter what the weather is like, you are guaranteed to have a great time!
Activities include snow tubing/sledding, snowless sledding, broomball, crafts, winter skills, kick sledding, and hot chocolate around the fire!
Below is a sample schedule. You will get a final schedule upon arrival. Arrival and closing times are accurate.
- 8:00 - 9:00 Check In
- 9:15 - Opening Ceremony
- 9:30 - 12:00 Morning activity rotations (about 30 minute stations)
- 12:15 - Lunch
- 12:45 - 3:15 Afternoon activity rotations (about 30 minute stations)
- 4:00 - Closing Ceremony
WHO CAN GO TO Discovery Winter Day Camp?
Discovery Winter Day Camp is open to all. Polar explorers of all ages are welcome to join in on the fun! Bring the entire family! Children under 5 years old are free! At least one adult is required to register per family.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- Youth $41
- Adult $15
- Youth under 5 are FREE!
Fees include a hot lunch and a patch for each youth participant.
WHEN IS Discovery Winter Day Camp?
We're running a few sessions on various Sundays:
Check in will begin at 8:00 a.m.
Program starts at 9:15 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO CAMP?
Discovery Winter Day Camp is a single day program - however due to the unpredictable nature of our winter weather, we encourage everyone to dress in layers and maybe bring extra layers just in case! Jack Frost won't keep us down - to make sure you don't miss out on any of the arctic activities we recommend you have the following layers:
- Base layer - AVOID COTTON fabrics touching your skin! Cotton will absorb water which can quickly turn into cold toes and fingers! We recommend synthetic fibers such as polyester and nylon.
- Warmth Layer - this will be where the bulk of your warmth comes from. We recommend fabrics such as wool, polar fleece or flannel. This is the perfect opportunity to dig out the ugly christmas sweaters and fuzzy pajama pants!
- Wind/Water Layer - your outermost layer should be wind and water proof. Most jackets and snowpants have this built in - but if not you can throw a rain jacket over the top of a fleece jacket for the same effect!
Please also make sure that everyone has a water bottle. You will be doing a lot of moving around and it is just as easy to get dehydrated in the winter as it is in the warm summer months!
WHAT FORMS DO I NEED TO BRING TO CAMP?
Every participant (youth and adult) must have a completed health form - parts A and B. We also ask that you come prepared with a shooting sports waiver in case we need to substitute an activity for BB Guns or Archery - this tends to happen when we do not have any snow on the ground.
All forms must be turned in at check in for your camp session. Digitally submitted forms will not be accepted.
WHAT FOOD IS PROVIDED AT Discovery Winter Day Camp?
Every participant will be served a hot lunch - includes main dish, salad bar, hot soup, bread and milk/juice/coffee. Please view the attached document about dietary restrictions if you need to request a special meal.
WHERE DO I GO TO CHECK IN?
You will check in at the Dining Hall at Phillippo.
- Full payment is required at the time of registration.
- Fees paid will be forfeited if registration is canceled. Exceptions will only be made for family or medical emergencies.
- If notified prior to the start of camp, fees can be transferred to another Discovery Winter Day Camp session during the same calendar year.